Monday, September 20, 2010

San Diego Vintage



I got a call a few months ago from my dear friend and old roommate from the CIA (The Culinary Institute of America) Lisa Redwine asking me if I would do an event for the San Diego chapter of AIWF. I jumped at the opportunity!

Nothing could excite me more than to create a menu for a group of people who's sole purpose in meeting was to talk about food and wine. My team and I created a small plate menu and some of our mouth watering desserts.

They started off with passed hors d'oeuvres:
  • Curry glass noodles w/pan seared duck breast served in to go containers
  • Mini baked brie w/mango in philo cups
  • Gazpacho shrimp shooter w/fresh avocado
Than on to small plates:
  • Grilled, sliced skirt steak & asparagus w/shallots & walnut vinegar
  • Tea smoked heirloom tomatoes & eggplant stacks w/roasted cauliflower
  • Salmon w/orange sorrel & hazelnut w/baby beets roasted w/cinnamon & balsamic
  • Kahlua pork wrapped in banana leaves w/coconut rice & plantains w/a choice of spicy or not banana ketchup
Followed by simply sweet sweets:
  • Summer berry galette
  • Figs w/Topanga honey & aged balsamic w/cracked black pepper
  • Bourbon laced chocolate mousse filled figs dipped in rich chocolate
It was a Sunday afternoon at an amazing home in San Diego with a 180° view of downtown and beyond from the back yard.


I have wanted to use Found Vintage Rentals ever since I first saw their stuff on a blog and this was my opportunity. They had two riddling racks that where a perfect addition to a wine and food event. I also found some really fun props to build up my tables so that I could use it as the back drop to the food.




Brooke Corpus of Simply Sweet Cakery created these darling cookie pops for us. Brooke got my vision spot on with these fun and unique pops.


The pops where a beautiful addition to all of our other desserts, especially first of the season Mission figs with Topanga honey, aged balsamic with fresh cracked black pepper. Oh the simple sweet pleasures.




I do have to say the best part of the evening for me was watching night fall and seeing the lights come up on down town San Diego. We could even see into Mexico. What a Sunday afternoon.


Molly Kruger is the Executive Chef for Chef Molly Culinary Artistry. She invites you to visit http://chefmolly.com/ to see more posts. Chef Molly Culinary Artistry is a full service catering and event production company located in Southern California. Contact us at http://chefmolly.com/ to discuss your next event.



© Molly Kruger

All Rights Reserved Worldwide

No comments:

Post a Comment